3:49 PM

Dear White America:


I saw this article online a few days ago while looking up press at work. ( Serena Williams was quoted in Harper’s Bazaar talking about her “massive butt”). Clearly, society is all screwed up – what was scrutinized is now celebrated? I don’t know whether to be happy or mad. Body types that are attributed to Latinas and African Americans are now a trend. First it was big lips, then “natural” hair, and now butts. Just because the mainstream media and fashion is obsessed with stick thin beauty doesn’t mean that a full figure hasn’t been celebrated since the beginning of time in our culture. ( I have wanted a bigger butt since I was in 6th grade - I have made progress) The same people that you judge and stereotype are the same people you imitate. You inject your lips to make them fuller, you use hair styling products and extensions so your hair wont be so thin and flat, and now you decide you want a big butt so you wear butt pads or get surgery. Really? How about we get credit where it’s due and cover magazines, walk on runways, and be represented in the media as something other than an “exotic” commodity? Then maybe things like butts will cease to be a trend. 

what you wont do... --> 





Yea I said it! Sue me. 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment