4:34 PM

:: Life Update ::


Just when I had given up on the internship hunt, Harper’s Bazaar found me. Enjoying a day at the beach I received an email about an Events intern position available. I applied, interviewed, and was hired in a matter of three days. The Devil Wears Prada had prepared me for what I was about to face – so I thought. I work on the publishing side of Harper’s Bazaar, which consists of marketing, sales, and advertising. Everyone in the office is about their business but not in an intimidating way. All of the staff is fabulously dressed in heels and great suits as you would expect, but there is a very causal atmosphere that surprised me. I don’t get coffee or make copies or do tedious tasks. Most of my days I spend researching the latest fall 2010 trends and past trends for the marketing team. I have learned a lot about how magazines are sustained. If you don’t have advertisers you don’t have a magazine – simple. Now getting the advertisers is the difficult part. So much research goes into sales calls and presentations that convince the advertisers to place an ad in our magazine. Everything from circulation, to editorial credits, to special promotions and events, each campaign has to be tailored especially for clients like Chanel, Le Vian, Bvlgari, and more. The Bazaar reader is unique in that she looks to shop. She doesn’t read the magazine because she likes the pictures and the editorial; she wants to know what’s in style and where she can buy it. Bazaar is like the mother of shopping guides.
            My days here have been smooth. I haven’t had to do any ridiculous tasks or  have tight deadlines. I have worked freely here and some days I don’t even find anything to do. Everyone has everything under control – especially since its summer the laziest time of the year in fashion. No fall or spring runway shows to cover or stress over. The Events director gets back this week so we will be working on the three events that we have coming up in July. That’s all for now!


0 Comments:

Post a Comment